Saturday, November 12, 2011

Helpful Prep Tools

Since I'm learning as I go, I will share what I learn along the way. Even if what I learn isn't so great...after all, failure is what motivates success, right?

Once we decided this new eating journey was going to be a sure thing (at least for a couple of months), we went out and bought a mandolin slicer. It makes slicing large amounts of veggies much easier and you can change the blades for thin, medium, thick and also do julienne and shreds. What, you ask, is a mandolin slicer? That is the same thing I asked, so I'm posting a picture below so you don't have to go searching online like I did.



Important to note is that handle type part next to the actual slicer. You really HAVE to use that when slicing because if you hold the veggie with your fingers you WILL get cut...trust me, I know. And you could get seriously sliced, so please use the veggie holder/handle type thing when using the slicer.

Another great purchase we made a couple of weeks later is a food processor. It is one of those machines that I never thought I'd need or use. I figured if I had a blender, that would cover the bases. Not so. Blending and processing are two different things and in order to make certain veggie meals the right way, using a food processor is a must. So, before you tackle that recipe that says to "process" an item (or items) in a food processor, thinking you'll just throw it into your blender, think again. You may get by using the blender, but it likely will be over taxed and you may end up having to partially hand mash, which is what I try to avoid at all costs. Plus, a food processor (a good one) will include blades that allow you to slice and shred automatically, so you can use it for multiple applications while preparing a meal that calls for different ingredients in various forms. Make sure you shop around...learn both online and in stores about various brands and levels of food processors; functions, prices, ease of use, and size. We got a fairly basic one that is made by Cuisinart, and has a 7 cup bowl, which is a good basic size. Some have 3 or 5 cup bowls, which could prove to be too small. Read reviews online, and once you've gathered your info you can make a good decision about a food processor you will use (hopefully) for years.

I'm going to attempt posting a recipe some time in the next couple of days. I say "attempt" because I want to include a way for recipes to be easily printed...so it will be another learning process for me. I'll also try to post a picture of each meal with the recipe, but there may be some cases that I don't. For instance, if I forget to take a picture in my desire to sit down and eat.

Coming attractions: Pizza, Pizza!!




No comments:

Post a Comment