Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cookbook Ramblings


I recently bought Chloe's Kitchen - 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food you Love the Vegan Way. The author, Chloe Coscarelli, is the first vegan cook to win "Cupcake Wars" with a vegan cupcake! This is her very first cookbook. I found her online (somehow) and had read her website, which has plenty of recipes posted there: Chef Chloe

Actually, I found out about Chloe's new cookbook through her website and promptly pre-ordered it after reading through some of the delectable recipes on her website. And the best part is, the ingredients are mostly common and easily found in any supermarket, and many are usually found in most people's pantries. There are only a few staples that she recommends buying special and having on hand for her vegan recipes, but even those I easily found at my local natural markets or even in the natural foods sections at the supermarket.

And so....I began cooking my way through Chloe's Kitchen and prepared her recipe for Vegetable Biryani (page 172). The flavors are strong and delish, and quite a change from what we are used to savoring, it being a dish popular in India. Unfortunately, I did not have a couple of the spices needed, but I decided to go ahead with it and make substitutions. So, the next time I make it, I need to be sure I have all the proper ingredients, because I know it can make a world of difference. I also added red kidney beans as an extra source of protein. There were plenty of leftovers, as well!


Vegetable Biryani

Today, I decided to make the Hot 'N' Crusty Farmers Market Panini from the recipe on Chloe's website. Again, I was missing an ingredient or two, and I don't have a stove top grill pan or a panini press, so I improvised. Even so, the panini was delicious, savory, and VERY filling. Her recipe says it serves 4-6, and I got 2 large panini sandwiches out of it, one for me one for the hubs. I am sure that anyone would love this for a meal, vegan or not!


Hot 'N' Crusty Farmers Market Panini

Next up: one of Chloe's wonderful looking vegan desserts or cakes. Not only is her "Cupcake Wars" championship cupcake recipe in her cookbook, but there are additional recipes for sweets and cakes on her website! I have a serious sweet tooth and am thrilled at the prospect of being able to bake and eat sweets occasionally and not worry about just what some of the ingredients are! I am hoping to get some cupcakes made tomorrow and will be sure to share my results.

Who said eating vegan is boring? With Chloe in my kitchen (and on my laptop), I can't imagine ever being bored with choosing to have a plant-based diet.

By the way, Ms. Coscarelli has been appearing on many TV shows, as well as holding book signings at bookstores across the US of A. If you haven't heard of her yet, you will...trust me. She is taking the vegan cooking world by storm and I cannot wait to see what her next cookbook will include!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment