Sunday, January 22, 2012

Vegan Pizza Revisted



Wow. Tonight I made THE most delicious pizza I've had since becoming a vegetarian/mostly vegan. This is so good...crispy crust that isn't too thick, and of course it can be made with cheese and all the traditional toppings, if you so choose. BUT, my version really was yummy with my homemade pomodoro sauce, lots of veggies and soy mozzarella.


Crust recipe from Robbie's Recipe Collection

Thin Crust Pizza Dough

.25 oz. packet active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup 110 degree water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

-Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
-In small bowl dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for 8 minutes.
-In a separate large bowl, combine flour and salt.
-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with
a heavy spoon.
-Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
-Spray pizza stone or pizza pan lightly with olive oil spray.
-Place dough on stone/pan and working from the center spread
out to cover most of the area, leaving just a slight edge showing.

Finishing the pizza
-Spread a light to medium layer of sauce on dough.
-Sprinkle soy mozzarella (I use Soy Sation) on sauce, then layer
veggies. I used sliced zucchini, chopped grape tomatoes,
chopped broccoli, fresh baby spinach. Top with a light sprinkle
of soy mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano and spray lightly with
olive oil.
-Cook in 450 oven for 12-15 minutes, or until crust is lightly
browned. Let sit for a couple of minutes before cutting.
Be sure to check on the pizza often during the last 3-4 minutes of cooking, and adjust the time accordingly.

I used a pizza stone, which does cook a bit differently than a pan, but I'm almost sure the crust will be crisp no matter what it is cooked on.

Feel free to use your own toppings. I am not a fan of making pizza dough from scratch, only to be disappointed by soggy, chewy pizza. I will only make my pizza using this recipe from now on, it's that good! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment