Sunday, April 15, 2012

Well Hello "Mac 'n Cheese"!!

Since changing to a plant-based diet back in late September of 2011, eating meals with comforting cheese has been a thing of the past. I think I've mentioned before that I miss cheese most of all, even more than meat. So, a couple of months ago I decided to make a "mock" macaroni and cheese casserole and had high hopes that it would be at least tasty enough to enjoy eating. Not. No way. Big disappointment. Lots of work and high fat ingredients (like raw cashews) and the hubs and I took a couple of bites and that was it. At that point I had decided that I would never again eat mac 'n cheese unless it was one of those few times I may veer briefly from the plant-based diet.

Then came Chloe Coscarelli. I have reviewed a few of her recipes found in her new cookbook, Chloe's Kitchen, and all have been really good. I decided to give her "Best Ever Baked Macaroni and Cheese" (page 127) recipe a try. Keep in mind it doesn't have cheese, but instead uses nutritional yeast, which brings a mellow, cheesy flavor to recipes. But more than that, Chloe has combined just the right ingredients together.



I added chopped broccoli and the results were so yummy. Both the hubs and I went back for seconds, and this morning I ALMOST reheated some to eat for breakfast! The one thing my husband wished for was more moisture, and I agreed it could be a tad bit moister, but by no means was it dry. Next time I will cook 3/4 box of elbows instead of the full box, and that should result in a more moist result.


On Chloe's website there is a version of this recipe that doesn't call for baking in the oven…more of a boxed mac 'n cheese replacement. That version may appeal more to the kids in your life. Click here if you'd like to give it a try: Vegan Mac 'N Cheese.
Interestingly, this recipe includes chopped broccoli, while the baked version in the cookbook does not. So, either way, chopped broccoli is a fabulous addition and provides some veggies in an otherwise no-veggie recipe. I'm actually thinking the "cheese" sauce would be good in other recipes, or even as a sauce for side dishes of veggies.

Now I have another very worthwhile recipe for my growing binder of plant-based meals! I would prepare and serve this to any guest…and may just take it to the next pot luck we attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment